Cobra XRS-9970G Radar Detector Review
Cobra XRS-9970G Radar Detector Review Updated: October 3, 2012
Top Reasons to Consider the Cobra XRS-9970G Radar Detector
- Radar detector includes external GPS module with database for photo enforcement cameras
- Included GPS 8 point compass
- Includes lifetime subscription to AURA database
- Touch screen display
Frequently Asked Questions about the Cobra XRS-9970G
- What is that “funky” looking thing hanging out of the side of the radar detector? Escort owns the patent for fully integrating radar detection with GPS into one module. Therefore Cobra came up with this work around, put the GPS module into an external device and plug it into the detector.
- How accurate is their AURA database? They have made significant improvements to their database over the past couple years but I still have noticed that they are sometimes a little slow in programming new locations. All in all I would rate them an A-
Potential Issues with the Bel Cobra XRS-9970G
- My chief complaint with most of Cobra’s radar detectors are false alerts and the XRS-9970G is slightly better than the other detectors in their inventory.
- Range and sensitivity is about average in a detector in this price range, half of what you would expect from a higher end Beltronics or Escort model.
- One of my chief complaints with Cobra has always been their outrageous claims of detecting more bands then there are currently utilized for police radar and laser, in this case 14! Face it Cobra there are only three radar bands used in the US, one laser band and if you include the European Ku band that only makes five bands!
My Bottom Line Recommendation for the Cobra XRS-9970G
If you in the market for an inexpensive alternative to the GPS based radar detectors from Escort and Beltronics then the Cobra XRS-9970G is certainly worth checking out
However based upon my 20 years in law enforcement as a certified police radar instructor and 15 years being involved in the speed counter measurement industry, I would classify the XRS-9970G as not being one of my top picks.
There several detectors in this same class from Whistler in my opinion that are better performing units as far as radar detection. Also there are other external GPS photo enforcement devices available that would complement most any radar detector that doesn’t include this feature.
However my opinion in this case is NOT backed up by other reviews and feedback made by other automotive publications and happy Cobra XRS-9970G users that you will find online, a few of which are published at the end of this article.
If you support my quest as being an independent reviewer of the radar detector industry and wish to support me in my journey, please do me one favor, consider purchasing it at Radarbusters.com. As an affiliate and I earn a commission from them if you do make a purchase from them utilizing the links within this website that offsets my costs and time and supports my cause.
If you have any further comments or suggestions please contact me or use the comment box at the bottom of this article.
Also if you found this article helpful in anyway please consider pressing the Facebook like button and sharing it with your friends.