Beltronics STi Magnum Radar Detector Review
Designed for the professional driver, as the first all band detector that can beat the Spectre III RDD (Radar Detector Detector) – Radar Roy
A top of the line stealth long range radar detector that is immune to all RDD’s
(Replaces the Bel STi Driver)
Last Updated – 08/13/2012
My #2 Choice behind the Escort Redline as being the Top Dash Mounted Radar Detector for Professional Drivers and Road Warriors utilizing North American Interstate Highways
Top Reasons to Consider the Beltronics STi Magnum
- Twin Antenna Design: Its dual antenna design introduces a new level of radar performance each tuned for each specific radar band allowing the STi Magnum the longest possible warning on all radar bands, including POP.
- Escort Live Compatible – The Beltronics STi Magnum is Escort Live compatible allowing you to join Escort’s/Beltronics live radar detector community to receive real time alerts through your iPhone or Android device.
- Dual Signal Processing: The Bel STi Magnum antenna system analyzes all incoming radio frequency signals and automatically filters out false alarms. The result is one of the top performing long-range radar detector ever made.
- DSP Digital Signal Processing: Unlike many other radar detectors, the Bel STi Magnum analyzes all incoming microwave radio signals and filters out most false alerts.
- Off Axis Laser Detection: The Bel STI utilizes multiple laser sensors are strategically positioned to detect event the smallest amount of lidar, including off axis.
- Download Your Updates Online: Firmware updates are developed by all radar detector manufactures on a regular basis to address new and emerging technologies from the police radar gun manufactures. Previously you had to pay to mail it back to the manufacture to have these updates installed and wait weeks to get it back. The Beltronics Pro 500 is web ready simply connect your detector to your PC, log into Beltronics website and download and install the latest firmware and database updates in minutes. (Annual $19.95 subscription required)
- Stealth Design: Bel’s TotalShield Technology makes the Bel STi Magnum completely stealth to all radar detector detectors including the Spectre. If you are a professional driver or live in Virginia, Washington DC or other countries/providences where radar detectors are illegal this detector is for you!
- Easy Programming: The Bel Magnum is a snap to program and set-up for its advanced features. The Sti Magnum is pre-programmed and ready to go out of the box, but some of our power users may want to set the unit up to complement their own driving experience and personal preference. The easy to use STi Drivers’s preferences menu allows you to do this in a snap. Don’t drive in an area where X band is used, turn it off; rather use the Expert Meter display, turn it on. It is that easy.
- Three Levels of Sensitivity: Choose from three levels of sensitivity; Highway (full sensitivity), Auto (filtered mode), Auto NoX (Filtered no X band)
- AutoMute: My wife’s biggest complaint in having a radar detector in her car is the continuous loud auto alerts that some radar detectors have. The Redline solved this problem in that it automutes its volume level during its alert. My wife is happy, so I am happy.
- Brightness Control with Full Dark Mode: One of my tricks to catch truckers with radar detectors when I was a cop was to blast them with a radar gun at night when they were in close proximity and watch for the LED lights flashing on their windshield.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Bel STi Magnum Radar Detector
- What are the differences between the Escort Redline and the Beltronic STi Magnum? Today Escort and Beltronics are virtually the same company, Escort bought out Beltronics several years ago and today their offices and manufacturing plants are under the same roof. The Bel STi was the first completely stealth RDD to emerge on the scene and today there several other radar detectors that are also stealth, the Escort Redline, the STi R Remote and the Escort 9500ci remote, all based upon the same antenna design as the STi Magnum. Both the Bel STi Magnum and the Redline retail for $499.95. The Redline has voice alerts; the Bel STi has tone alerts. Also the Redline firmware has been modified to give it a slight edge in long-range performance.
- Why doesn’t Beltronics honor their warranty from the detector I purchased on Ebay (or Amazon, Overstock and others)? Bel has a very strict Authorized Dealer Program and MAP policy to ensure that you, the consumer are getting the very best service and support, this policy is outlined in their manuals and on their websites. If you purchase a Beltronics radar detector from an unauthorized dealer and you have a problem with the unit or want to subscribe to their extended warranty service you will maybe denied or required to pay an extra possessing fee.
- Does this detector have 360 degree protection? Yes, every radar detector manufactured by Escort and Beltronics has full, 360 degree protection.
Potential Issues with the Bel STi Magnum Radar Detector
- As the Bel STi Magnum is a corded radar detector therefore it requires a 12 volt power source and it does come with a cigarette lighter power cord, however we do not feel that this is the best option. To address this issue consider purchasing either the Direct Wire cord or the Direct Wire SmartCord and watch my YouTube video here on how to direct wire your radar detector.
- As the Bel STi Magnum is a dash mounted radar detector I recommend that you remove it from your windshield if you park for extended periods as it is a welcome invitation for some crack head to break into your car and steal it. Each week I am contacted by one of my followers telling me that they wish they would have headed my advice as now they are in the market for a replacement. Another issue with leaving your detector on the windshield emerges during the hot summer months. When parked your car becomes a green house and temperatures inside your car can easily exceed 150 degrees as the sun bakes the sensitive electronic components inside your radar detector (or GPS). Take your radar detector or any other electronic device off your dash and store them in your glove box or under the seat.
- The Bel STi Magnum is stealth against all police radar detector detectors but if you drive in areas where radar detectors are illegal don’t hang it in the middle of the windshield for all eyes to see. Consider using the visor clip and mounting it on your sun visor. Another trick I have used is to mount it on the dash and cover the unit with a baseball cap or placing the unit in a small tissue box, leaving an opening for the laser sensors to capture laser.
My Bottom Line Recommendation for the Beltronics STi Magnum
Based upon 20 year career in law enforcement and 15 years in the speed counter measurement industry I would rank the Escort Redline suited as being the BEST dash mounted radar for those who spend most of their time driving on our North American Interstate Highway system.
Other radar detectors in this same category that you may also want to consider would be:
- Escort Redline: Also Stealth the all radar detector detectors, slightly better range and sensitivity then the Bel STi.
- Valentine One: NOT stealth to the Spectre RDD (radar detector detector) which would be an important consideration for our commercial drivers and those who drive in the states of Virginia, Washington DC and in other countries/provinces where radar detectors are illegal.
This Based upon my 20 years in law enforcement as a certified police radar instructor and 15 years being involved in the speed counter measurement industry.
My findings are also backed up by literally thousands of other reviews and feedback made by other automotive publications and happy Escort Redline users that you will find online, a few of which are published at the end of this article.
If you support my quest as being an independent reviewer of the radar detector industry and wish to support me in my journey, please do me one favor, consider purchasing it at Radarbusters.com. As an affiliate and I earn a commission from them if you do make a purchase from them utilizing the links within this website that offsets my costs and time and supports my cause.
If you have any further comments or suggestions please contact me or use the comment box at the bottom of this article.
Also if you found this article helpful in anyway please consider pressing the Facebook like button and sharing it with your friends.