Beltronics Pro 300 Radar Detector Review
“My #1 choice in the less than $300 radar detector class” – Radar Roy
Updated August 2012
An affordable and top rated radar detector
(The Bel Pro 300 now replaces the Beltronics RX65)
Top Reasons to Consider the Beltronics 300 Radar Detector
- Extreme range and sensitivity! The Bel Pro 300 has the same identical radar detection performance as the more expensive Beltronics Pro 500 and the Escort 9500ix.
- Reprogrammable Microprocessor - No need to ship your radar detector back to Bel for new firmware updates as new police radar threats emerge. Just download updates to your PC and connect your detector, it’s that easy.
- Auto-Sensitivity filters out false alerts from other source of radar alerting you to the real threats ahead.
- Easy Programming – The Bel Pro 300 is a snap in programming and set-up for its advanced features. The detector pre-programmed and ready to go out of the box, however some power users may want to set the unit up to complement their own driving experience and personal preference. The easy to use menu allows you to do this in a snap. Don’t drive in an area where X band is used, turn it off; rather use the Expert Meter display, turn it on. It is that easy.
- Crystal Clear Voice Prompts and Alerts keeps your eyes on the road, not on your detector! The Pro 300 alerts you with clear and easy to understand voice alerts so you will immediately know what threats your detector is alerting you to.
- Escort Live Compatible – The Beltronics 300 Pro is Escort Live compatible allowing you to join Escorts/Beltronics radar detector community to obtain real time alerts throughout North America.
- Three Levels of Brightness Control allows you to adjust from max, medium or dark.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Bel Pro 300
- Why doesn’t Bel honor their warranty from the detector I purchased on Ebay (or Amazon, Overstock and others)? Bel has a very strict Authorized Dealer Program and MAP policy to ensure that you, the consumer are getting the very best service and support, this policy is outlined in their manuals and on their websites. If you purchase an Escort radar detector from an unauthorized dealer and you have a problem with the unit or want to subscribe to their subscription service you may be denied or required to pay an extra possessing fee. For more information I invite you to read a post on my blog on how Overstock.com screwed one of their customers.
- Does this detector have 360 degree protection? Yes, every radar detector manufactured by Escort and Beltronics has full, 360 degree protection.
Potential Issues with the Bel Pro 300 Radar Detector
- As the Bel Pro 300 is a corded radar detector therefore it requires a 12 volt power source and the detector does come with a cigarette lighter power cord, however we do not feel that this is the best option. To address this issue consider purchasing either the Direct Wire cord or the Direct Wire SmartCord and watch my YouTube video here on how to direct wire your radar detector.
- As the Bel Pro 300 is a dash mounted radar detector I recommend that you remove it from your windshield if you park for extended periods as it is a welcome invitation for some crack head to break into your car and steal it. Each week I am contacted by one of my followers telling me that they wish they would have headed my advice as now they are in the market for a replacement. Another issue with leaving your detector on the windshield emerges during the hot summer months. When parked your car becomes a green house and temperatures inside your car can easily exceed 150 degrees as the sun bakes the sensitive electronic components inside your radar detector (or GPS). Take your radar detector or any other electronic device off your dash and store them in your glove box or under the seat.
- The Bel Pro 300 is non stealth forget about those claims that radar detectors make about being stealth against the VG2 radar detector, that device hasn’t been used in years! If you are a professional driver (drive a semi truck) or drive in Virginia, Washington DC or other countries or providences where radar detectors are illegal police use a device called the Spectre to detect if you’re driving with a radar detector in your car. Therefore you need a radar detector that can beat the Spectre. There are only three manufactured today, the Escort Redline, the Escort 9500ci and the Beltronics STI.
My Bottom Line Recommendation for the Bel RX65
If there is one affordable dash mounted radar detector that you must look into seriously, to consider purchasing, it would be the Bel pro 300.
The only other radar detector in this same class that I would recommend would be the Escort 8500 x50.
In comparison the only big difference between these two models is that the RX65 has voice alerts over Escort’s toned alerts and that the Escort 8500 model is also available with a blue LED display.
My review is based upon my 20 years in law enforcement as a certified police radar instructor and 15 years being involved in the speed counter measurement industry, the Bel Pro 300 remains on the top of my list as one of the most affordable dash mounted radar detectors made today.
This is also backed up by literally thousands of other reviews and feedback made by other automotive publications and happy radar detector users that you will find online, a few of which are published at the end of this article.
If you support my quest as being an independent reviewer of the radar detector industry and wish to support me in my journey, please do me one favor, consider purchasing it at Radarbusters.com. As an affiliate I earn a commission from them, if you make a purchase utilizing the links within this website, that offsets my costs and time and supports my cause.
If you have any further comments or suggestions please contact me or use the comment box at the bottom of this article.
Also if you found this article helpful in anyway please consider pressing the Facebook like button and sharing it with your friends.